So start our discussion with an example. Suppose we want to display market statistics (like stock price, stock analysis) of accounts in Siebel application where statistics come from third party application. Here we will use rediff.com as third party application which will give us market statistics.
Let’s say we have 3 accounts Infosys, Oracle and Yahoo. As per business requirement, we have to display market statistics of these 3 accounts.
Rediff URLs to display stock details are like below:
Infosys > http://search.rediff.com/dirsrch/default.asp?src=web&MT=infosys
Oracle > http://search.rediff.com/dirsrch/default.asp?src=web&MT=oracle
Yahoo > http://search.rediff.com/dirsrch/default.asp?src=web&MT=yahoo
For symbolic URL, it is mandatory to have one static unique URL for each account. So, lets start configuration step by step.
– Create a project or lock an existing project in Siebel tools. Here we have created a new project ‘Symbolic URL Test’ to keep all symbolic URL related changes in one place.
– Create a calculated field under Account BC to display market statistics as per account name. We have created a calculated field with below specs:
Field Name = Account Portfolio
Calculated = True
Calculated Value = “Account_Portfolio”
– Create a list applet (Account Portfolio Web Applet) based upon Account BC and the field
– Modify the applet web template as ‘ePortal URL Applet’ in Base Read Only mode
– Don’t add any control in the applet
– Change the Class from CSSFrameList to CSSFrameListWeb
– Change the list column properties of ‘Account Portfolio’
HTML display mode = DontEncodeData
Field Retrieval Type = Symbolic URL
– Create view (Account Portfolio Web View) with SIS account Entry Applet and Account Portfolio List applet so that upper applet displays account details and lower applet is for market statistics from third party application rediff.com
– Add the view in Account Screen as details view and compile everything
– Go to siebel application and register the view ‘Account Portfolio Web View’ and add it with responsibility
– Goto Application – Integration > WI Symbolic URL and from the dropdown, select Symbolic URL
– Add symbolic URL with name Account_Portfolio, Siebel may add suffix to the Symbolic URL
– Set the value for URL as ‘http://search.rediff.com/dirsrch/default.asp?src=web&’
because next part of the URL i.e MT works as variable (like : MT = Infosys / Oracle / Wipro)
– Set SSO Disposition as IFrame
– Set the argument for MT, specify from where the argument will get value in run time
Here it looks like below:
Argument type = Field
Argument Value = Name
Append as Argument = True
So in run time, Siebel will get value from ‘Name’ field and append it to the original URL (Like http://search.rediff.com/dirsrch/default.asp?src=web&MT=infosys)
– Except ‘MT’ argument, we need to add few more arguments like below
src with Arg Type = Constant and value = Web
IsrecordSensitive with type = Command and value = TRUE
IFrame with type = Command and set proper Value
That’s all, now goto Account screen and check it is working as per our requirement or not.
If you have any doubt/question, please leave your comment here. To get more updates on recent activities, follow ‘TechOneStop‘ on Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn or join our website as followers.
Watch our Youtube videos on Siebel Open UI training:
Is it difficult to configure!! To meet such requirement, we have to modify HTML script which is responsible to build user interface. In any CRM, except Siebel or Open UI, first we have to find out the HTML/CSS file which is responsible to display message on Home page, then change HTML script, test it. If anything is not in proper place, then again modify the template and test it.
Lot of work, isn’t!! Now see, how easily we can meet such requirement in Siebel or Open UI.
In Siebel, customized home page is derived from Microsite. Siebel provides specialized business component ‘ERM Microsite Section Body VBC’ to display data from Microsite. Throughout this article, we will use Partner Portal Home page to describe configuration steps. So our applet name is ‘ePortal Cat Splash Applet’ which is based upon ‘ERM Microsite Section Body VBC’ business component and view is ‘Home Page View (SCW)’.
This is two step configuration. First configure Microsite VBC in Siebel Tools and then Administration-Microsite in Siebel Client.
– Select the business component ‘ERM Microsite Section Body VBC’ in Siebel tools and expand
BusComp User Properties in OBLE
– Check user property ‘MicrositeSection’ is already present or not. If not, then create an user property with name ‘MicrositeSection’ and Value ‘Body’
– Compile all changes
– Go to Administration-Content Center > Content Sets and add new content. If you have the content file ready, then upload it by clicking on ‘Add Content’ button otherwise create new content.
– Here we will create a new content ‘eChannel Home Screen Content’, so click on New button and
give the content name and title.
– Below in ‘Asset’ tab, click on New to upload asset which will be displayed on home page
– If you don’t have any file to upload for home page, then just build one blank file with .DOC or
.HTML extension. We will modify it once the file is uploaded.
– Give the asset Name, title and browse the file on popup applet. File format could be anything
(example .JPG, .DOCX, .HTML), then click on ‘OK’ button to upload. There are few advanced
properties as well, like Language Code, Private, Data Length. We could leave these as it is.
– To modify the file, click on ‘Check Out’ button if it is not grayed out already and then ‘Edit HTML’. Don’t worry! no need to write any HTML script here. It will open one popup applet just like word document. We could build our custom template within few minutes. Once template is ready, save it
and do check in.
– Go to Administration – Microsite > Page Administration, create a new page and click on Publish
For partner portal home page, we have used below specification.
Page Title: eChannel Home Screen
View : Home Page View (SCW)
Content Set : eChannel Home Screen content