Drag and Drop data migration in Siebel Open UI list applet – sounds interesting?
You know, data migration is an integral part in any project. Most of the cases, data migration is performed by developers.
But what would you say if end users can do data migration instead of developers?
Let me explain:
With every innovation pack, Oracle releases new and exciting Siebel Open UI features.
One of such features is – Drag and Drop data migration in list applet.
This Siebel Open UI feature was first introduced with Innovation Pack 2013.
Bear with me, because I’m going to show you it works…
To import data from a spreadsheet into Siebel application, you can use EIM Import or COM object or Business Service.
However, EIM is the most preferable and reliable process for data migration in Siebel.
Main drawback of all three approaches is that none of them can handle adhoc data request.
What does that mean?
Let’s assume a business scenario:
Suppose a company runs campaign on adhoc basis and captures prospects’ details.
Now to process further, company needs to bring those prospects into Siebel system.
So, either employees of that company have to do manual entry or give the data file to Siebel experts.
Bottom line is that to start work on prospects, company has to wait some time.
That’s not good!!
You can write batch job or business service to automate the process but that has also a limit. You can not build EIM job for every future data file.
Now imagine another scenario:
A company has a preformatted spread sheet for all employees to capture prospect details. Employees enter details in that spread sheet and just drag and drop it in Siebel application to import data.
Less dependency and no waiting time!!
Isn’t that great?
Let’s see how we can drag and drop records in Siebel Open UI.
A word of caution:
This drag and drop feature works only in list applet, not in form or tree applet.
To discuss all steps, we have built a sample spreadsheet that we will try to import here.
Steps to drag and drop data migration in Siebel Open UI:
Step 1: Verify List Applet
Very first step is to get the list applet name where you want to activate this functionality.
You know how to get the applet name, right?
Just navigate to that applet and click on Help –> About View.
As we are trying to import account records here, our applet name is ‘SIS Account List Applet‘.
Step 2: Add applet user properties
To enable this feature for a particular applet, you must add two new applet user properties.
So, you login into Siebel tools and query for the applet in Object Explorer.
Now, add above two applet user properties and compile it.
User property ‘ClientPMUserProp‘ can have more than one value. You use comma as separator to add new value.
Now, the list applet is ready for drag and drop data migration.
Step 3: Identify mandatory columns and compare with spreadsheet
You know, almost every object like Account, Contact, Opportunity has few mandatory fields. Such fields are marked with a red asterisk ∗.
During data import, you have to take care all these required fields, otherwise it will fail.
So, before dragging records, make sure that all mandatory columns are present in the spreadsheet as well as record set.
In our example, Account Name is the mandatory field that we have to take care.
- Data rows should start immediately below column header row in the spreadsheet.
- Sequence of column headers in the spreadsheet does not matter. You can include column header in any order but name should be same as list applet column name.
Step 4: Verify Drag and Drop data migration functionality
To test Drag and Drop functionality, you select the cells that include header and data rows in the spreadsheet and drop it in the list applet.
Siebel can take some time to complete the job if the record set is large.
Once the process is completed, verify records have been created or not.
You can see in the below image. We have two accounts in data file as well as application.
If you are using Microsoft Excel, then follow below steps to drag and drop records
- Position the cursor over a corner of the selection area until MS Excel displays the cursor as a four-way arrow
- Right click and hold down the right mouse button
- Drag and release the selection area in the list applet
It’s not over…
You must read below important points –
1. Using drag and drop functionality, you can not import data in MVG field. If the selected record set has any column to populate MVG field, import process will fail.
So before importing data, make sure that there is no column for MVG field in your spreadsheet.
2. You must take care static picklist values also. If the spreadsheet contains values for any static picklist field and it does not match with any of LOVs, Siebel will throw error – ‘Wrong field values or value types detected in field XXX‘.
So before importing values for picklist field, make sure that same value is already present in LOVs.
3. Though the column header sequence in the spreadsheet does not matter but header name matters a lot. It should match with applet column name.
4. If a column is not displayed in list applet, data for that column will not be imported. However, data for other fields will be imported without any error.
5. Siebel will throw user key error if you try to import more than one record with same set of user key values. But all other records will be imported without any error.
Now it’s over…
Though it is not frequently used Siebel Open UI feature, but quite interesting.. isn’t it?
It can save time, also increase productivity.
We have never activated this drag and drop data migration method in production environment for any customer.
If the end users do not take care data migration properly, it may cause data integrity issue also.
What about you?
Do you think, this drag and drop Siebel open UI feature can help customers to speed up process? Will it create more data related issues?
Please leave your feedback in the comment section below.